Thursday, November 23, 2006

Finality

My grandfather passed away last week and I’ve written this poem in his honor.

I watch as the grainy face fades away
Like the paralyzed sun’s midnight ray
I peek in to a broken looking glass
Wondering if I’d see just one more day
But I guess that too will come too pass

That which once was will never be again
The ink is weak and I haven’t another pen
Still I try to write in my blood and sweat
But it dries faster than a calculating yen
And I’m left with not even a tear that’s wet

I gather the courage to look into the grave
He’s lying there as if he got more than he gave
Under a leafless branch a bagpipe sings
A trembling lip is trying to act very brave
And Finality has gone the way of all things

I turn to leave and feel someone watching me
I look upward and don’t believe what I see
Through my blurry eyes and the shinning sun
I see heaven and him there running free
And I realize Finality has just begun

3 Comments:

Blogger anonym00kie said...

sorry to hear..

11/23/2006 4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss.
May you and your family have much strength to get through this time.
I remember your grandfather well. I would sit next to him in Empire shteibel many years ago, as a little girl. He was a deep person; I recall being mesmerized by his fervor.

Besurot Tovot.

11/27/2006 3:29 PM  
Blogger C said...

Baruch Dayan Haemes.

May we all merit the time when pain will be no more.

12/03/2006 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home