Monday, November 07, 2005

(n)Ode To Wisdom

There are four gaping holes in me where wisdom used to be. “Wisdom, from nothing is she found”, and now to nothing is she lost. Much blood hath been spilled over her removal; much pain hath been felt over her passing; much swelling hath she left in her wake. But with a little help from my friends – Vic Otin, Cody Eine, and Moore Fine – I do get by

Wisdom, or the lack thereof, has made a pill pusher out of me. Nevertheless – no matter how many pillars I’m pushing, or how many pushers I’m pillaging – everything is swell – well, not everything: only my cheek. Still, when the cheek ego gets inflated, the cheek gets real cheeky: “I want real food”, Ms. Stomach is grumbling. “Ha Ha”, Dr. Cheeks bellows, “you only get soggy oatmeal and congealed Jell-O”. So, though only my cheek is swelled to imperfection, my entire body is affected – you know, the small-having-a-big-affect thing, micro(wave) affecting macro(media).

Its funny, you know: wisdom usually comes with age, but I’m only twenty-one and I’ve already lost mine.

Will I ever be wise?
Should I ask all these Whys?
Should I fork all the Y’s?

They say you grow through pain; but, even with all this pain, my poor teeth will never have a chance to mature. They lie, along with bloody gauze bandages and surplus stitches, in One Hanson Place’s incinerator, that is what I insinuate, and it makes me nauseate.

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
Yes, but why is learning like pulling teeth?
Who is wise? He who sees the outcome.
Yes, but why so painful that it hurt's to breathe?

Now the deed is done, and now the deed can never be undone. But perhaps for one to gain in wisdom one must first lose in wisdom. Maybe like Heine said: “Who never acted foolishly, he also ne’er was wise”.

What I have learned from this whole experience, from all this pulling of teeth and pushing of pills: I am still none the wiser –

Maybe it is not when you lose your teeth that you lose your wisdom; maybe it is when you lose your wisdom that you lose your teeth.

Just something to sink your teeth into; but don't bite off more than you can chew.

So cliche.

9 Comments:

Blogger Avi said...

One can in fact "nauseate".

I did not know that.

11/07/2005 9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go to Dr. Moscowitz too?

11/07/2005 11:58 PM  
Blogger jakeyology said...

yes. but this was the oral surgeon, Dr. Krinstien.

11/08/2005 12:17 AM  
Blogger Dovid said...

Who would have thought such a funny peice could be written about widom-teeth.

11/08/2005 4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quite a conscious thought for someone on painkillers.
but who cares?
maybe we have no wisdom, maybe tooth removal is as deep as the whole concept goes...
as Woody Allen said:
'all that crap they tell you about gaining some widsom with age is tripe...I've gained no insight, no mellowing. I would make the same mistakes again'
perhaps thats the greatest wisdom of it all.

and Jake-
never be afraid to use cliches

11/08/2005 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is freaken well said!

This coming from a guy that just got his wisdom yanked a week ago and still "pill pushing".

Hope you dont mind i put up a link on my blog to the ARTicle.

Good Luck with your Pill pushind and pullng teeth (i.e. learning. well, you would know that)

11/08/2005 11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry i missed you [and your teeth]... i was busy reviewing m-e-t-e-o-r-o-l-o-g-y.

oy. so cliche that i fell for the cliched cliche...

don't forget to leave all teeth at the edge of the pillow, makes it much easier on the old arthritic hands. till next time we bump into each other in cyberspace.
ta ta.

11/10/2005 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to the tooth fairy. i'm scheduled to have my teeth pulled next monday. can we make some arrangements?

11/11/2005 1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in response to heine:
a stupid man learns from his own mistakes
a wise man learns from others mistakes

11/20/2005 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home